Apr 26, 2010

Week 2 of Spring Semester (Which is really Spring and Summer )

Well, here I am at the beginning of another week of school. Last Friday at the end of Men's Chorus I was asked to remain behind for a few minutes by the student Co-Chairs of the choir. They asked me to be the Music Chair for my section - tenor 2. This basically means that I am one of the four students in the choir who is responsible for helping the directors make the choir sound good. So I now float around the tenor 2 section listening to the men sing, pointing out when they need to fix or improve something in the way they are singing. This is a great opportunity for me, and I am really excited to help make the choir as good as it can be.

For the first block of the semester, (until June 7th) I have a Book of Mormon class, and five music classes. I am loving the semester as far as the classes go. But, at this point, I have much more spare time this semester every day then I did last semester I was here. I have to admit, I much rather be busy with things all the time, then have lots of spare time. It makes me feel like I am not doing very much in a day. It is not like I don't have lots to do in a day, or that I have hours on end of time to spend on frivolous things, I just don't have as much to do. Hopefully this will changes as the semester goes on. My schedule is still not completed. I will not know when my private voice lessons will be yet, and I am very hopeful that I can do some accompanying again this semester (which is for the money, which I desperately need, and to fill in some time; not to mention, I really like doing it.)

No calling as of yet in my new ward. They have not called people to be over Family-Home-Evening groups yet either, so that has not started... not that I am excited for that. Last semester, FHE was the biggest waste of my time all semester. The worst part was that it was a recurring event. Oh well... it wont always be like this. One day I will be in charge of FHE with my wife... and we will do things a little differently than what we do here.

I have resumed my regular visits to the Seeley's house on Sunday evenings, where they graciously have me over for dinner every week, and then let me stay and talk, or play games or do what ever until late. It sure is nice to get out of the apartment and into the real world once a week.

I am realizing more and more recently that I am not good at making new friends. This does not bother me normally. I am usually quite content to just be with myself and those closest around me, family and the few close friends I already have. Unfortunately in my current situation, none of my immediate family - outside of my cousins (whom I only see once a week, with the exception of seeing Kate at school)- and none of my close friends are here. Most of them are a long way from here. It gets lonely some times. And what I miss is the true social interaction that I am so used to at home; having a good conversation mostly. At college it is all about going out and having "fun". This mentality really urks me, and I am not generally inclined to participate in these "fun" things. (It probably goes unstated that "fun" things often go hand in hand with stupid things.)

Week two in a nutshell; I love my classes, and am having a great time. I don't like the college scene sometimes and get a little lonely. Good room mates cannot fill the void of close friends.

Don't forget your daily dose of Music!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Ah, Sam. We're so glad you are back. I'd love to have you accompany me, once I know what I'm working on. I get the whole friends thing too. I decided that I'm going to make more of an effort this semester. I memorized the phrase "Hi, I'm Kate. What's your name?" and said it to one person I didn't know in every one of my classes. It's like magic. :)

Our house is the real world? :)

Unknown said...

Sam, it is good to be able to read what you write, its like a letter that arrives instantly with no charge. Don't worry to much about the friend thing, God will guide you to those He has prepared to help you while you are up there. we all pray for you every day. we love you and miss you. Casey : )
p.s. even though this says it is Whit it really is casey. i just haven't figured out how to have my own "CASEY SAID..."

Lindy-Lou said...

It's good to hear from you again, Sam. You'll find your own way again this semester. I predict you'll read this in another month and laugh about not having enough to do. ;)