May 19, 2010

I Can Do Anything Syndrom


I recently came to the realization that I feel like I can do pretty much anything. I have heard that expression most from return missionaries. They stand over the pulpit and talk about how before their mission they thought they could do anything. Then they would share some humbling experience that they had on their mission. Most of the time the experience, while worth it, was not pleasant. At the moment, I am finding myself trying do devise a way to avoid this "humbling experience." The only thing I can think of is to be less confident. But I really like being confident in myself and my decisions. So maybe that is not the answer... besides, who doesn't like to feel like they are on top of the world, and can do anything. Perhaps confidence really is not the key here. After all, confidence is not the opposite of humility; pride is.

So... where is the line between confidence and pride? And how do I know if I am crossing it? Or am I simply doomed to have a "humbling experience" because it happens to everyone on the mission; or perhaps over confidence/pride is just apart of what happens as we grow from adolescence to adulthood, and the mission field is just the easiest place for us to be humbled.

What do you think?

Don't forget your daily dose of music!

2 comments:

Kate said...

My Book of Mormon semester project was to have more humility. It's so hard!! Once I think I'm being humble, then obviously I'm not. And how can I be humble without unpleasent humbling experiences? Bah. Question of my life.

Except I was really humbled when I started playing with the college symphony. I really knew nothing. I still don't know a lot.

Lindy-Lou said...

Life itself is humbling. It is part of the learning process, not to be feared. Most humbling is a personal, private experience, sometimes not - especially if we, in our pride, make it apparent to everyone how little we know by opening our mouth when we should be listening and learning. I speak from experience. ;)