Nov 24, 2012

At the waters of baptism by each made a covenant to take upon them the name of Christ, and to be a witness of his name. In order for us to be effective representatives of the Savior it will be important for us to know how others will recognize us as witness of Him. Christ gives us the most basic and universal way that others know that we are servants and witnesses of Christ. He said "by this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another." As a missionary, and at other times in my life, I have seen that this is true. It is much easier to believe that one is a follower of Christ, and witness of him truly when they love as Christ loved.

One of the experiences that has really impacted me took place early in my mission. We traveled early in the morning to one of my first zone conferences. On arriving I discovered that I had completely forgot to put on my name tag, and with no suit coat to cover my completely white shirt. I felt naked and humiliated in front of the entire zone and the mission president. During one of the breaks my mission president and I were exchanging greetings. He noticed that I didn't have my tag and that I had been embarrassed. Almost in passing, he reached inside his suit coat and took his name tag from off his shirt, handed it to me and said, "Let's see if anyone notices."

His simple act of kindness and generosity meant a great deal to me. I couldn't help thinking how Christ like this had been, his name covering my own mistake and foolishness. I was also grateful that none of the other Elders said or did anything to make me feel foolish. I was shown a small glimpse of the love of Christ.

Another of the great example of the showing the love of Christ also comes from my mission. One of the most common things that a convert says as something that affected their decision and helped them feel comfortable in the new surroundings of the church was how friendly and welcoming the people of the church were and are. The welcoming and loving hand of friendship shows the love of Christ and helps them know that they are home.

I think that such love and service are the greatest ways that we can show our love for those around us.

Don't forget your daily dose of Scripture!

No comments: