Jan 9, 2014

A Speaking Assignment

Brother Shannon, second councilor in our bishopric, (and ironically only mere months older than I am) called at 8:49 pm. I rolled my eyes at the unknown number on my phone, wishing that I didn't have to answer. I had to get up at 3:30 the next morning so that I could be to work for the early morning shift a 4. I was already in bed. I answered the phone politely. "Is this Sam?" "Yes." He then introduced himself and asked how I was doing. "Fine. Thank you." I decided that I would use his facebook page to get his information to add to my contacts later. He asked if I would be willing to speak in sacrament meeting on Sunday. "Yes." He apologized that it was short notice, especially since he was sure that I had homework and classes now. I didn't tell him I am off track this semester, and not taking any classes. Maybe that was a little cruel. Maybe it wasn't. But at 8:49, I didn't care.

"Can I give you a topic?" I hate when church leaders leave the topic to you to figure out for a lesson or a sacrament meeting talk. "Please." "We would like you to talk about Christlike attributes."

Christlike attributes; that's a broad topic. I almost feel like they didn't give me a topic for how broad it is. Thus far, I have spent over five hours studying and reviewing material. I have a lot of thoughts about what I might share, but still don't know where I am supposed to begin. When the I'm writing a talk, my pattern is study, study, study; then at some point I will discover where the talk is supposed to start. From there, the rest of the talk will almost always unfold quickly. Still not sure where I should start. But I still have a few days to prepare.

Don't forget your daily dose of Music!

No comments: