Well, it has happened. I have moved out. It is a strange feeling; one that, I admit, I didn't expect or prepare for. But let me explain a little, especially for those of you who know that I haven't lived consistently at home for several years now.
When I first moved up to Idaho to go to school, my apartment was my apartment, and home still meant that place where I was raised and family lived. I decided that. It was a conscious thing. And so it stayed for those first two semesters away from home. Then came the call to serve a mission for the Lord. And there too, home was still in Salt Lake with family. All through the mission the apartment was usually "the apartment." On those rare occasions when I called our apartment "home," my heart knew that home was not there. I kept always on my key ring the key to my parents home; a simple way to keep connected with home.
Returning from the mission, I lived at home for a time in order to save money for the coming semesters at school. Then I again left home to live in an apartment while I attend school. Two semesters continued this way. Through the course of the second semester, I began to feel increasing that I was being impressed to remain in Idaho more permanently and not return to live at home between semesters, as I had always done before.
Following prayer and a confirmation of my feelings, I decided that I was going to stay in Idaho without moving home intermittently. Once that decision was made, it bought about a change which at first was subtle, but has grown over time. Things like referring to what had been home as "my parents house" began to be manifestations of my changing feelings. And now, sitting writing this here in my new apartment in Idaho, I find that what was "home" before no longer seems fit to hold that title, since I don't intend to ever return there to live. And yet, this new apartment and these people and Idaho, they are not yet home either. Thus I find myself homeless, so to speak. Fearful? No. But I find myself feeling perhaps as Corrie ten Boom has recorded in her book; that it is in Jesus that I must now make my home.
Don't forget your daily dose of Music!
No comments:
Post a Comment