My self-obsessed, likes-to-hear-himself-talk, really shallow, has-a-funny-laugh roommate might drive me to an early death. He likes to watch the Disney channel, especially the Hannah Montana Show. When I don't feel like barfing from the all the mellow-drama, the stupidity of the show aught to be enough to turn a persons brain into oatmeal, which, despite its nutritional value would not make a good brain. I think that if there really were purgatory, forced watching of the Hannah Montana Show is about as bad as it could get.
In addition to always wanting to watch the stream of oatmealizing nothingness of the Disney channel, he is obsessed with dating, and getting a girl, and telling me and anyone else who happens to be within hearing distance about every little thing that happened between him and a girl. He also likes to discuss how not into dating he is. "Just going to lay back this semester..." Ya... right... That is why you have a date almost every night. Unfortunately for him (and for me) every couple of dates he comes home from he is in a bad mood. Whenever my room mates comes home, I like to say something like "How's it goin?" Sometimes I really wish I didn't say that, especially when my roommate comes home in one of his bad moods, because ten times out of eleven, that means that his date didn't go ideally. He then proceeds to tell me all about the date. If I am lucky I happen to have head phones in, or to be busy doing homework (legitimate reasons for not really listening.) Obviously that is not always the case, and so sometimes I have to listen to what he says. Like tonight for example. He was txting some girl, who he has gone out with a couple times, (if the pattern continues, it is about time for her to tell him she is not interested, which means another bad mood, followed by my question(which if anyone is interested is really just meant to be a greeting) followed by some sob story I don't really want to hear)... anyway... he is txting this girl, and he tells her he is really interested in her. She doesn't take it the way that he wanted, in part because the first time he tried to tell her he did it in dating code. And when dating code, which is already a jumbled mess of emotion and nonsensical ideas like "if I txt too soon she will think I am desprate", is mixed with texting code, it can become even more jumbled and confused. He then had to tell her outright, or as outright as a txt can be, that he really liked her. Her reply was less than what he was looking for. He then turned to me and said
"I just can't get these girls to like me, Sam. Maybe it is because I am not used to having to appeal to Mormon girls..." Long, quiet pause. "Apparently, you have to make-out with the girls around here to get them to like you."
"Why do you think that" I asked, slightly taken aback.
"That is what they told me!"
"Who told you?"
"This girl. She said that I have to show that I am interested in them."
Well no wonder you aren't having any luck, I thought to myself. A girl tells you to show more interest in your dates, and you takes that to mean have a make-out session. While what she actually was trying to tell him is that he needs to actually act like he cares about the other person. It is true too. He has brought a girl back to the apartment while I was here, and he did all the talking both times.
Well, thanks for listening. If you can make sense of anything I wrote, congratulations! If not, at least you can come away knowing that I think in very long, fragmented sentences, which are riddled with detours.
Don't forget you daily dose of Music!
3 comments:
I am so sorry Sam. That would be enough to make me scream. How awful. I feel bad for him, but I mostly feel bad for the girls he goes out with. If you want, I'll write him a list of What Girls Actually Want In A Date or How To Be Datable. ;)
Oh and by the way, this is the whole purpose of a blog. Venting. It's healthy. :)
Great post. I'm grinning. But in a sympathetic way. ;)
Post a Comment