Jun 17, 2010

Science Class

I have enjoyed all of the classes so far, until now. As of yesterdays class, I officially dislike my science class. My teacher is a nice guy, but I strongly disagree with his ideas of how science should should be applied in our lives. I don't think that I could be a scientist. I don't like being limited to things that we can explain with a scientific model. With science, the important thing is to get consistent results, not necessarily to find the truth, which is what is important to me. For example, apparently in the field science the strongest scientific statement is a Theory. A THEORY! How can a theory be the strongest scientific statement? It makes no claim to truth. That is why it is a theory, because it is an idea that someone put together to explain nature. But there are parts of the theory that are not provable because of a lack of information, or lack of an ability to test. That is why it is only a theory.

The other thing that has really bothered me about his class was when we talked about vaccination. He was totally confident that if the FDA said that it was ok, then it had to be ok. We listened to Amanda Peet talk about the subject on ABC. She called parents who don't vaccinate their children parasites. Bro. Grifiths, my professor agreed with her. Of course his reasons for agreeing with her were based on the premise that unless children receive vaccinations they will get sick. While vaccinations have done a lot to help stem the tide of several serious illnesses, there is no evidence that says that if we don't get vaccinated we will get sick.

Additionally, he pegged alternative medicine as being voodoo science, and healers as witchdoctors which cannot be trusted. Obviously not everything that someone says will help you will, and one must use good judgment. But alternative/natural medicine definitely holds some stock in my book.

Don't forget your daily dose of Music!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Interesting. My teacher has been quite the opposite. Although the class has not been my favorite, I thought the course was fairly open minded, and my teacher keeps it in a spiritual perspective. I'm sorry you've had a negative experience. It won't be much longer. Just a few more weeks.

Lindy-Lou said...

Theories, shmeories.
Don't let it make you weary.